Sunday, November 20, 2011

Is it possible to be in love with a city?



As I prepare to leave New York, I can't help but reflect on how wonderful of a place it is and how truly lucky I am to have lived here. I remember as a little girl coming to the city with my family to see the Christmas Show at Radio City. The energy of the city was intoxicating and as I looked up at the tall buildings that touched the sky, I told myself that one day I would live here. A few months ago, I couldn't even imagine living anywhere else. After all, how could any other city compete with my one true love? While I look forward to new adventures, I know that my heart will ever remain in this beautiful, wonderful, thrilling, and dynamic place. 

Here are a few quotes about New York that make me smile:

She has become a wicked and wild bitch in her old age has Manhattan, but there is still no sensation in the world quite like walking her sidewalks. Great surges of energy sweep all around you; the air fizzes like champagne, while always there is a nervous edge of fear and whispered distant promises of sudden violence. Tom Davies (1979)

There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless. Simone De Beauvoir

A hundred times have I thought New York is a catastrophe, and fifty times : It is a beautiful catastrophe. Le Corbusier

New York City is a great apartment hotel in which everyone lives and no one is at home. Glenway Wescott



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...